Record and Upload Video from the Sony Handycam
Your Sony Handycam
You were likely issued a Sony Handycam for your work at Relay. The following guide is for the Sony HDR-CX405 (Links to an external site). For any other camera or recording device, please consult your manual.
1: Inserting a Memory Card
1. Open the cover and insert the memory card until it clicks.
microSD memory card: Insert the memory card straight in the direction shown in figure A until it clicks.
Memory Stick Micro (M2) media: Insert the memory card straight in the direction shown in figure B until it clicks.
A: Label side
B: Terminal side
C: Access lamp
For more, see Preparing a Memory Card
*Please follow the instructions below if you receive the following error: "Disk cannot be written to as it is write protected. Please remove write protection in the volume of drive D."
SOLUTION 1 - Unlock the memory card.
If you are using a microSD to SD adapter, make sure the lock switch on the left side of the adapter card is slid up (unlock position).
You will NOT be able to modify or delete the contents on the memory card if it is locked.
SOLUTION 2 - Toggle the lock switch.
If the lock switch is loose and moves easily, it is likely the switch is sliding to the locked position as the card is placed in your host device. In this case, the card will need to be replaced.
SOLUTION 3 - Check the mobile-device settings
Some mobile devices have a feature to lock the card. Please check with your mobile-device manufacturer for instructions to unlock it.
2: Set Your Recording Mode
If you are recording a longer video and/or if you want to decrease the size and upload time of your video, we recommend setting your recording mode to standard.
- [Image Quality/Size] - [REC Mode] - desired setting.
Note: Higher-quality video will take more space on your memory card and on your computer, and it will take longer to upload to Canvas.
3: Recording Your Video
Once you have reviewed How to Capture Quality Video and the specifics of your assignment, you are ready to record your video.
- Open the lens cover.
- Open the LCD monitor of this product and turn the power on.
- Press START/STOP to start recording.
- To stop recording, press START/STOP again.
For more, see Recording Movies .
4: Upload Your Movie to Your Computer
1. Connect the built-in USB cable from your camera to your computer's USB port.
2. Allow your computer to install the required software. This will happen as soon as your camera is connected properly.
3. Find your file by using Browse File in the HDR-CX405 window in your computer. You may see more than one version of your file because of the default Dual Video recording setting. We recommend that you keep this setting and choose the smaller file.
4. Save your file to your computer using drag and drop. This should take 10 seconds to two minutes, depending on the size of your file.
If you're using a Mac, the Photos app should automatically open and prompt you to import the video files.
5: Upload Your Video to Canvas
Once you have your video file on your computer, you are ready to upload your video to Canvas!