Relay recognizes that there may be a time when you determine that it is not possible or in your best interest to complete the coursework in which you are currently enrolled and would like to request a leave of absence from the program. A leave of absence is valid for one year (12 months). If you are unable to return after one year, Relay will withdraw you from the program permanently.
To initiate a request for a leave of absence, you should do the Following:
- First talk with your advisor who will then refer you to your campus Dean, campus program operations team, and/or the Office of Student Financial Services to determine how and when to take the leave of absence. Please also note that withdrawing from Relay while pursuing your teaching certification may have implications regarding your certification status.
- Discuss the implications of a leave of absence with your school leaders and applicable partner programs (such as NYCTF or TFA). There may be serious financial, professional, and academic consequences to suspending enrollment in the program.
- Once you have confirmed a leave of absence is the right decision, you would then submit a leave of absence request application to the Registrar's Office (also available in the GEN-101 course on Canvas). Please keep in mind of the census dates when you submit your leave of absence application.
- Leaving on or before the census date: Courses will not appear on your transcript and you will not be responsible for your term tuition
- Leaving after the census date: Courses will appear on your transcript with a grade of Withdrawn(W) and you will be held to either full or half of your tuition for the term
- Leaving at the end of term: Courses will appear on your transcript with the grades received from your last enrolled term and you will be responsible for full tuition
Please know that you are still enrolled at Relay, with corresponding academic, financial, and administrative responsibilities, until the leave of absence application is processed and you will receive an e-mail confirmation from the Registrar's Office. The confirmation email will also include details on how to re-enroll. We recommend you continue to go to your classes and complete coursework until you are notified of a decision.The Office of Student Financial Services will also follow up with you about how to pay any outstanding Relay tuition and fees.
Leave of absences will be treated as a withdrawal for the purposes of Title IV federal financial aid. This may require you, if you have taken a leave of absence to return a portion of unearned Title IV funds, namely direct unsubsidized loan funds. For more information about the return of Title IV funds, please see Return of Title IV.