The Relay Student Ombudsman Service provides a safe space for students to confidentially discuss institutional and academic concerns, clarification of policies, and other challenges that impact academic progress.
The Role of the Ombuds is to:
- listen to understand issues from the perspective of the student.
- assist in reframing issues and developing and helping students evaluate their options.
- guide or coach students to deal directly with other parties, including the use of formal resolution resources that are provided by Relay Graduate School of Education. You can also refer to the student handbook.
- refer students to one or more formal organizational resources that can potentially resolve the issue or concern.
- facilitate informal resolution processes.
Because of the informal, neutral, confidential, and independent positioning of an ombudsman in an organization,
The ombudsman WILL NOT
- Make binding decisions or mandate policies,
- Participate in formal investigations or play any role in a formal issue resolution process,
- Serve in any other organizational role that would compromise the neutrality of the ombudsman role
- Receive notice for the organization
- Create or maintain records or reports for the organization
Connect with the ombudsman by:
- Relay Student Ombudsman Service Request Form
- Email your concern directly to email@example.com Please make sure to include your name, preferred email address, and campus affiliation.
Please note Student Incidents such as the ones below should NOT be reported to the ombudsman. All student incidents must be reported to the Title IX Coordinator who is responsible for ensuring compliance with Title IX. If you wish to report a student incident, please complete the Student Affairs Support Request form.
- Student misconduct (including academic misconduct)
- Gender-based misconduct (Title IX)
- Student crimes
- Reports of violence on a Relay campus (Clery reporting)