A student may find it necessary to remain enrolled in their program while not taking additional coursework. This is defined as participating at Relay under an inactive term status. Reasons for an inactive term may include, but are not limited to:
- Remaining enrolled to resolve an Incomplete in a course from a prior term while not enrolling in additional coursework
- Remaining enrolled during a term when there are no courses needed to meet your program’s requirements
Students who wish to be considered for an inactive term status must submit the Inactive Term Status Request Form prior to the term’s census date. An inactive term request should not be a substitute for a Leave of Absence. Students may be inactive for up to two terms, and students may take up to two terms consecutively as inactive terms.
Students should consult with their advisors before submitting an Inactive Term Status Request Form. Students who fail to register for courses by the start of the term after being on an inactive term and/or are unresponsive to communications regarding their status will be administratively withdrawn and would need to reapply to Relay.
If approved, a student enrolled in an inactive term is not eligible for financial aid or loan deferral. There could also be certification implications. Please reach out to email@example.com to better understand the implications for your circumstances.
Please note: Students who withdraw, take a leave of absence, are administratively withdrawn, or are dismissed from Relay are not eligible for an inactive term. In some cases, students who withdraw, take a leave of absence, are administratively withdrawn, or are dismissed from Relay, can reapply for enrollment. Additionally, students with a balance over $500 are not eligible for an inactive term. For more information regarding returning to Relay, please see the Reenrolling or Transferring Policy.
- Students may submit the Inactive Term Status Request Form no later than the census date of the requested term. For more information on census dates, please see Enrollment Definition Terms
- The Registrar's Office will review the student’s form to determine eligibility for an inactive term
- The Registrar’s Office will notify students of the outcome of their request via the student’s Relay.edu email
- The Registrar’s Office will also communicate the outcome of the student’s request with the Advising Team, Student Financial Services, Billing Team, AmeriCorps Team, and Certification Team
- If approved for an inactive term, the Registrar’s Office will change the student’s status to “Standard Period of Non-Attendance”
Students who will need to register for additional coursework in a future term would receive communications regarding registration during the registration windows of their expected return term. Students who are awaiting program completion, and who do not need to register for additional coursework will receive communication regarding their status once all program completion requirements are fulfilled.