It depends. If you hold completed at least three years of certified public-school experience in another single US state or territory within the last five years, and can verify that you received evaluation ratings of effective or highly effective, or the substantial equivalent of such ratings, in the three most recent years of experience in a public school, the edTPA will likely not be required for your Initial certificate. We recommend scheduling an certification office hours appointment here to confirm with our Student Advisement team: https://calendly.com/relaynewyork.
- When should I register for the edTPA?
- New York only: I'm a single-subject secondary teacher (e.g., grades 6–8 science), but my certification pathway is Middle Childhood Generalist (5–9). Which edTPA should I complete?
- New York only: If I taught and was certified in another state before coming to New York, is the edTPA a requirement?
- New York only: I completed an edTPA portfolio in another state. Do I need to submit another edTPA portfolio?
- Do I register for the national or Washington versions of the edTPA?
- What is the edTPA?
- Am I required to take the edTPA?
- Where can I get an edTPA Handbook?
- How do I register for the edTPA?