**Are you also interested in applying for a TEACH grant? Please click here!**
Direct unsubsidized loans are federal funds that you can borrow to help pay for the costs of your Relay education.
There are 4 main steps for applying for a federal loan:
1. Fill out the online loan request form by clicking here.
2. Complete your 2020-2021 FAFSA at https://fafsa.ed.gov. Relay is based in New York, so select the state then select Relay as a school to notify (school code: 042086). For guidance on how to fill out the FAFSA, please read the 8 Steps to Filling Out the FAFSA.
3. Complete and sign an unsubsidized Master Promissory Note at StudentLoans.gov. Select Relay as a school to notify. Do not fill out the Graduate PLUS MPN.
4. Complete loan entrance counseling at StudentLoans.gov. Select Relay as a school to notify.
**Need to apply your aid refund to a previous term's balance? Please continue reading below!**
There are extenuating circumstances in which Relay may decide to allow you to carry over an unpaid tuition balance from one semester into another semester:
- Example: a student who is facing financial difficulties and will be aid eligible in the next semester
You may request aid to cover both amounts (covers your full out-of-pocket cost for the upcoming semester, as well as your outstanding balance from the previous term). Once the credit refund is issued either through a physical check or direct deposit, you may choose to manually log into Minerva and make a payment with a credit or debit card for the outstanding balance.
Case: Your Fall out-of-pocket cost is $3600. You get your balance down to $600, but are unable to pay the remaining balance and are at-risk of administrative dismissal at the end of the Fall semester. You reach out to Student Financial Services at email@example.com in order to discuss your options. Since your Spring out-of-pocket cost is also $3600, you could request aid that totals at least $4200 for the Spring term. This will fully pay off your Spring out-of-pocket with a $400 credit balance, which will be issued as a credit refund that you may use to make a one-time payment through Minerva.