At the completion of the Relay Washington, DC Certificate in Special Education program, certification candidates will be eligible to apply for the Special Education: Non-Categorical (P-12) Standard Credential with the Office of the State Superintendent of Education in Washington, DC (OSSE).
In addition to completing Relay's program in good academic standing, a certification candidate must….
- Pass the Praxis I Core exam (OR exempting Praxis PPST, ACT, SAT, or GRE. Those scores are listed here.)
- Pass the Praxis Content exam (Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications).
- Pass the Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) for your applicable grade band
- Obtain required documents listed under Option 1 at this link. Ie: official transcripts, background check, etc…
Please refer to the table below for more information on each certification milestone or requirement. You can find study resources for each Praxis exam at this link.
|Certification Milestone||Praxis Exam Code||Exam Cost||Deadline|
1) Submit passing Praxis I Core (or exempting exam) official score sheet to Relay
*Must be passed for admission into this program.*
|Praxis I Core be passed for admission into this program.||August 3, 2020|
|2) Pass Praxis Content exam: “Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications”||
November 1, 2020
3) Pass Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) exam for applicable grade band
PLT: Early Childhood -- 5621
PLT: Grades K-6 -- 5622
PLT: Grades 5-9 -- 5623
PLT: Grades 7-12 -- 5624
February 1, 2021
4) Apply for Standard Credential with OSSE